Applying for Documents

Permanent Resident Card (PR Card):

Your PR Card will be mailed to you in about 6 – 8 weeks when you provide your home address in Canada to a CBSA officer during the landing interview. If you did not, or the address has changed before receiving your PR Card, you will need to inform IRCC of the correct Canadian address by completing an Address Notification Form and faxing it. You can also search for the form and complete it online at here.

Social Insurance Number (SIN):

Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine digit number which you should apply as soon as possible. You will need a SIN number to work in Canada, open a bank account, or to access government programs and benefits. Please take one of the below documents to the nearest Service Canada centre. If your application and documents are in order, you will get your SIN during your visit and you will not need to part with your documents.

You must present one of following documents when you apply for a SIN:

  • Permanent resident card from IRCC: this is the only acceptable document if your permanent residence application was processed in Canada;
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to your foreign passport or travel document.

For more information and office locations, visit or call Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218 (select option 3).

Protect your SIN:

Your SIN is confidential. You and Service Canada are responsible for protecting your SIN from inappropriate use, fraud and theft. Only provide your SIN when it is required. For example:

  • To show to your new employer, after you have found a job;
  • For income tax purposes;
  • To show to financial institutions (for example, banks) where you are earning interest or income;
  • To apply for the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Employment Insurance (EI), Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB), Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) or other benefits (see the section on Employment and income);
  • To apply for a Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) or a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP); or
  • To receive a Canada Student Loan.

Health Card:

In Canada, the provincial or territorial government provides insured health care services using money collected from taxes. Therefore, you do not pay for most services when you go see a doctor or visit clinic or hospital.

Application forms for provincial or territorial health card is usually available at a doctor’s office, a hospital, a pharmacy or an immigrant-serving organization. You can also get the forms online from government ministry responsible for health in your province or territory.

Provincial and territorial health insurance information:


Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

Telephone: dial 310-0000, then 780-427-1432

British Columbia

BC Medical Service Plan

Telephone: 1-800-663-7100 or 604-683-7151


Manitoba Health Insurance

Telephone: 1-866-626-4862

New Brunswick

New Brunswick Medicare

Telephone: 1-888-762-8600

Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan

Telephone: 1-866-449-4459 or 1-800-563-1557

Northwest Territories

Northwest Territories Health Care Plan

Telephone: 1-800-661-0830         

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Health Card

Telephone: 1-800-563-8880 or 902-496-7008


Nunavut Health and Social Services


Ontario Health Insurance Plan

Telephone: 1-866-532-3161

Prince Edward Island

PEI Health Card

Telephone: 1-800-321-5492 or 902-838-0900


Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec

Telephone: 418-646-4636 (Québec city)

514-864-3411 (Montréal)

1-800-561-9749 (the rest of Quebec)


Saskatchewan Health Service Card

Telephone: 1-800-667-7766 or 306-787-3251


Yukon Health Card

Telephone: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5209

or 867-667-5209

To apply for health insurance card, you will be asked to provide identification such as your birth certificate, passport, permanent resident card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292).

In most provinces and territories, each family member receives his/her own card with a personal health identification number. You must carry the card with you and present it at a hospital or clinic when you or someone in your family needs health services.

We recommend you to purchase private health insurance to pay for your healthcare needs until the date you receive free government health insurance. Residents in some provinces such as British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec must wait a certain period (up to three months) before becoming eligible for government health insurance. If you live in one of these provinces, we recommend getting a private insurance for this waiting period. Please look for the private insurance in Yellow Pages:

Driver’s Licence

To drive legally in Canada, you must have a driver’s licence. If you have a driver’s licence from your home country, you may be able to use this licence to drive in Canada for a short time of period (Please check with your provincial/territorial government’s drive licensing agency). To obtain your Canadian driver’s licence, you may need to pass written and driving exams depending on your province or territory and on your driving background. Please contact your provincial/territorial departments that issue driver’s licence for more information:


New Canadian and Alberta Residents

British Columbia

Moving from Other Country


New to Manitoba

New Brunswick

Driver’s Licences for New Residents

Newfoundland and Labrador

Driver Licensing

Northwest Territories

The NWT Driver Licence

Nova Scotia

Driver Licence Information


Nunavut Driver’s Licence


New Residents’ Driver Licence

Prince Edward Island

Out of Province Driver’s Licence


New Résidents of Québec


New Residents


Driver Licensing


Upcoming Events

Richmond Public Library, Richmond

Richmond Public Library, Richmond
Refugee figures at a glance

As of June 2018, there are 25.4 million refugees around the world according to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) statistic. Over half of the refugees are under the age of 18 and 57% of the world refugees came from following three countries: Syria, Afghanistan and South Sudan.

Photo Gallery

Images of CANN services provided to new immigrants, including government-assisted and privately-sponsored refugees, at Vancouver International Airport.

Please give us your feedback

Your opinion is very important to us. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to evaluate the service we provide.


funded by cic service provider: success


P.O. Box 32373, YVR Domestic Terminal R.P.O.
(3880 Grant McConachie Way)
Richmond V7B 1W2 Canada
Phone: 604-270-0077
Fax: 604-279-0091

Hours of operation:

Office: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday, except statutory holiday
Kiosk: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm, Monday - Sunday, except statutory holiday

*Closing time may vary and is based on arrival trends